I’ll admit that I have watched many TV shows in my life and probably have more episodes memorized in my head than I should. I come from a small town, where watching shows were kind of a way of combatting chronic boredom. Now as an adult looking back, I am beginning to think that a lot of the “coincidences” and irony in shows and media were a little more calculated than I thought.
After doing some research, I discovered a few of the main Television shows I watch/ed are run by bigger corporate influences. Here are some of them, along with which larger company owns them:
1. Time Warner, Inc. : Warner Brothers TV, Cartoon Network (literally had no idea), Boomerang, CNN, HBO, and Cinemax.
2. Comcast Corporation: NBC television network, the History Channel, PBS Kids Sprout
3. News Corp: National Geographic U.S., Fox News(not a fan but found it surprising)
4. Viacom: Nickelodeon, Comedy Central
Seeing how connected some of these shows are, despite how different they are from one another, is very interesting.
Seeing how connected some of these shows are, despite how different they are from one another, is very interesting.
Don't worry, you're not alone in having episodes of tv shows memorized. Similarly to you, I grew up in front of the TV for maybe an unhealthy amount of hours to curb my boredom. The coincidences and overlap in television shows and movies is definitely interesting when you know how all the companies are related to each other. Also, you pointed out that National Geographic and Fox News are owned by the same company which I found an amusing point of irony.
ReplyDeleteRight? So ironic! I am glad that others out there have watched a lot of TV andeals that I'm not the only one!
Delete*and
DeleteI am also from a small town where you can basically do everything in the town in the matter of 2 days. So the only fun things to do were watch TV or get drunk. I indulge in a lot of TV show watching to get rid of boredom. My cable network is through Time Warner and was super shocked about Cartoon Network as well. One thing I noticed that HBO is on everything that has to do with the cable network which makes so much sense that they own it.
ReplyDeleteYes! The struggle of small town living! That is so interesting! I notice all of the suttle advertising these companies do now that we know who owns the channels!
ReplyDelete